Let's do a little catching up.......
So I took my kids in for their yearly check-ups and found that Brandon has not grown in a year. So the Doctor wanted him to get some bloodwork done just to make sure his growth hormone, thyroid, and CBC (Complete Blood Count) all looked ok. While we were there he also asked Alyson to provide another urine sample since she has been getting recurring UTI's and so the story begins :)
I took a sample of Alyson's urine with me in a specimen cup to the lab at IMC the same day that I scheduled Brandon for his bloodwork. When I arrived, I handed the tech the urine and labeled it with Alyson's name. We got the bloodwork done (Brandon was a trooper, only cried for a minute) and verified his blood work by looking at all the labels to make sure they all had his name on them. So, later that afternoon the lab called saying that they mislabeled Alyson's urine and that I would need to bring another sample into the lab the following day. I asked them what happened to the label that I wrote on and they simply stated that they relabeled it with Brandon's name on it. So, then after asking them if it would be all right for Alyson to use a solo cup for her next sampling, they agreed and that ended the conversation. (or so I thought)
The next day I got a phone call from the nurse at the pediatrician's office telling me that Brandon has a urinary infection!!!! What the???? So, I calmly told her that they were mistaken and that the urine was, in fact, Alyson's urine. So, I went through the whole story again about being at the lab and the nurse was pretty baffled. She then started to search for the results of the bloodwork and found nothing! About an hour later she called again and told me that Brandon's bloodwork turned out just fine! (luckily) As for Alyson, this is her 8th or 9th UTI, and we've been to Primary's for tests, and she has been on abx for a full year which isn't helping! So I am at a complete loss as I try and understand this situation! Anyone with any knowledge in Urology please let me know!
3 comments:
Glad to hear that Brandon is okay :)
I have no idea what to tell you about Allison- Poor kid!
Jill, are you aware I work in the lab at IMC and I would have been the one to catch the mislabel...that is what I do. Sorry for the run around. It really doesn't happen that often I promise. No luck on the urology thing, I just tell ya yeah or nah if you have it.
ooh that doesn't sound like fun. I've never had a UTI but I hear that cranberry juice helps. Take care!
Post a Comment